Tuesday, June 26, 2007

URLs from 6/26/07

Using ReadyBoost to speed up Windows Vista

Should I use AdAware (spyware removal tool) with Windows Vista? (John in Hamilton)
--No, the web site indicates it will not run, even though the current version is called AdAware 2007. Spybot will run under Vista, and Windows Defender is built into it.

I have multiple partitions on my primary hard drive. Do I have to reformat to make it one again or to make one partition bigger since I am running out of room on my XP partition? (Ron in Middletown)
--No, you do NOT need to reformat. Use Partition Magic, $30-$55 at Amazon.com. Here's more information.

I was given an Apple laptop. I have an old PC at home and want to transfer files. Am I at risk of a virus? (Julie in Darrtown)
--Basically, no. Here's more information. Years ago there were some macro viruses that infected the macros (automated tasks) in Microsoft Word and Excel. Since you indicated you won't use these, you can rest at ease.

I accidentally erased my C drive. My Windows XP upgrade disk will not let me install it again. (Joe in Clayton)
--The Installer is probably looking for the original boot disk. Since your computer came with Windows ME pre-installed, try to find any ME or even a 98 Install disk. Once the XP installer sees an original licensed copy, it should go ahead. Here's information on a clean install of Windows XP.

My daughter wants Vista for her MacBook (to be run under Boot Camp). Should I wait for an upgrade? (Tom in New Castle)
--No. No new versions of Vista are due out anytime soon. We recommend Home Premium, but since she will be entering college, have her check out deals through the school's book store.
--Mary from Oxford had a followup comment: Check with her college tech department. They may make you buy a specific Mac or PC. Prices are much cheaper for software on campuses for students, so do check first.

No comments: