Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Other choices for the OS poll?


We've received some feedback from Help Desk users who wonder why we didn't have more choices on the 4/20/09 poll "Which OS do you use most often?" Specifically, why didn't we have "Linux" or "Other"?

Frankly, not having Linux was partially an oversight. But as a practical matter, our gurus Wayne and Guy work for Miami University, which does not support Linux, so they haven't spent much time with it and would have to beg off answering most questions. However, it would be helpful to have an idea of how many in our audience do use it.

So we suggest that if you are a Linux (or Other) user, please leave a Comment with this message and give us the information.

Thanks.

--the Help Desk crew

2 comments:

RichC said...

Well it may not be fair to mention it, but I do run Linux SUSE 11 on an older Pentium 4 desktop. It is not my primary computer, but have in my basement workshop and keep alive just for 'geeky' fun.

Of course same goes for having a computer running DOS 1.14 (original Compaq - aka: sewing machine - http://is.gd/u08O ), Mac OS 6.5 on a Ci and a G4 running OS 9 that I still use everyday (I think I still have a MacDuo running OS 9 too?). I've given up on Win95, but still use Win2000 to print serve, fax and scan. My two laptops are XP and Window 7 Beta (current favorite) and a Mac running Tiger. (I'll wait for Snow Leopard later this year before upgrading.)

Anonymous said...

My main OS at home is Ubuntu 8.10. At work though my main OS is Windows XP.